Recently I asked some Facebook friends why they love to read and here's what they said:
Victoria Hennen - Reading makes your brain grow! (No matter how old it is).
Jackie Bradley Higgins - Reading helps me unwind and escape the worries of the day. It also helps my boys unwind as I sneak in some snuggle time with them at the end of the day.
Nadine Bates-Cusack - Reading allows that most precious of gifts...the capacity to see life from the perspective of others.
- Reading provides built-in cuddle time with my kids!
- Reading allows me to escape from a hard day!
- Reading helps me to discover new people, new places, and fantasy lands that I cannot visit in real life!
Hazel Edwards - Reading provides vicarious experience from another's viewpoint.
Collett from The Family Factor - Reading is relaxing, transports me to another world, gets my mind off of day-to-day stresses.
Marita from Stuff With Thing - I like to escape through reading. My 8yo enjoys reading because it helps explain things that are sometimes confusing when they happen in life.
Victoria Jones from Missy Books Online - Reading helps me escape reality!
Jennifer Young - It’s an inexpensive escapism :0)
Jackie from My Little Bookcase
- I get to 'slow down' and take some time out with a book.
- When I'm reading, I get lost in someone else's world and forget about my own (problems/ duties etc. ) for a little while.
- Since having my daughter, reading has become even more important. At 2 she has an almighty love of books - so a love of reading is a connection I will forever share with my daughter.
- Books provoke me to think deeply about my own thoughts on issues, ideas, beliefs, values.
- Books have the ability to make me weep and laugh out loud.
- Books are best read with a hot chocolate and a sweet treat.
- Books give me something to admire.
Was your reason amongst those? One of the reasons I love to read is that it makes aeroplane flights shorter! I can wait patiently in queues when I have a book to help me. And I love to explore other worlds - whether they be factual or fantasy, a book is my key to travel through time and space.
Two of my favourite quotes about reading are:
The greatest gift is a passion for reading. It is cheap, it consoles, it distracts, it excites, it gives you knowledge of the world and experience of a wide kind. It is a moral illumination. - Elizabeth Hardwick
The single most important condition for literacy learning is the presence of mentors who are joyfully literate people. - Shirley Brice Heath
Now over to you, dear readers. What's so great about reading, for you? And have you asked your kids? I'd love you to share what they have to say. Let's be sure to celebrate the gift of reading, not just this week, but every week!
Image credit: wikimedia commons