Children's iPad App, Night Zookeeper Teleporting Torch
by Susan Stephenson
You may remember I reviewed the Night Zookeeper Drawing Torch app, and enthused about the way it encouraged kids to be creative in a thoroughly engaging way? The developers contacted me a few weeks ago to let me know of their new app, Night Zookeeper Teleporting Torch. It continues the success of Night Zookeeper Drawing Torch, but adds some advanced and very welcome new features.
Night Zookeeper Teleporting Torch inspires you to draw pictures and write stories about magical animals! Do you think you could become a Night Zookeeper? Enter a world of Spying Giraffes, Time Travelling Elephants and scary Fear Monsters. On your journey you will take on creative drawing missions to protect the zoo from monsters and care for thousands of magical animals. Can you turn one of your friends or family into a strange animal? Could you paint the ocean, if a monster has stolen the colour blue? It's time find out!
I asked Paul Hutson, head wrangler at the Night Zoo, to list the features of the Night Zookeeper Teleporting Torch app that excited him most. As you can see, there are many!
FEATURES of THE APP ITSELF:
- Children receive daily creative drawing missions (a never-ending activity book to stimulate creativity)
- Teleport artworks to a private online dashboard (keep a portfolio of artwork and stories)
- Use the App online or offline
- Children can track their own progress with their own in App gallery
FEATURES of THE TEACHER / PARENT DASHBOARD:
- You can play along using the online dashboard (improving motivation and literacy skills)
- Send personalised drawing challenges to your children
- Challenge children to write short stories about their drawings (all stored in your Teacher / Parent dashboard)
- Extend the school day by setting missions for children to complete at home
- Share children’s work with their family and friends
I love how the developers, Wonky Star, reach out to the wider education community, even setting the app price at free recently so kids could use it to participate in a 100 word challenge. When not on sale, Night Zookeeper Teleporting Torch is $2.99. However, it's on sale until August 23, 2013 at a reduced price. The idea of extending the family and community aspect of the new app really appeals to me too - involving parents, teachers and friends encourages kids to share with an authentic and familiar audience. The above image is a screen grab of my online dashboard where the picture I drew and story I wrote for Mission 1 are kept. I could choose to make my work public or keep it private.
The app works smoothly and in a kid-friendly way. I didn't have time to complete more than a couple of missions, but I enjoyed them and I think kids will be motivated and enthralled to draw and write according to their mission specs. Brilliant concept!
Night Zookeeper Teleporting Torch on iTunes (There's a sale on for the app until August 23, 2013.)
There's also a competition (closes August 23, 2013) where kids have a chance to win an iPad mini with their own artwork associated with Night Zookeeper Teleporting Torch. International entries welcome.
Check out some other iPad apps I believe encourage creativity at my Fun with Learning blog.