by Susan Stephenson, www.thebookchook.com
I love finding apps that encourage kids to create. The Complete Fairytale Play Theater by developer, Nosy Crow is such an app. I have previously reviewed Nosy Crow’s story app, The Three Little Pigs and their print book, Axel Scheffler’s Flip Flap Safari.
From the developer:
- Features rich artwork from Nosy Crow’s award-winning series of fairytale apps: The Three Little Pigs, Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk, Snow White, and Goldilocks and Little Bear
- Over 60 characters to choose from, along with dozens of scene backgrounds and props to bring your story alive
- Soundtrack your story with stunning music from our fairytales, along with your own voices and sound effects
- Create your own brand new stories or re-tell our fairytales in your own words (and voices!)
- With a hugely intuitive, user-friendly interface that’s perfect for young children
- Create individual scenes from scratch, save them, and build multiple scenes into a complete story
- Multi-touch screens allow multiple users to create stories together
- A fantastic way of creating stories, encouraging imaginative play, and sharing a device between adults and children
- Great for storytelling activities in classrooms and at home
What I liked:
This app really encourages kids to create their own stories. They must choose a stage setting, characters, props and a music soundtrack. As they slowly build a story, they can add more scenes, move characters around and even add their own voice as narrator of the story. I love the way the app has supplied art work from other Nosy Crow fairytale apps, meaning kids can be supported in re-telling familiar tales, or choose to create an all new story. Young storytellers will adore this app, and parents will love that it encourages further reading, storytelling and even play writing!
See the app in action in the video below.
Where to find it?
Check out my iPad App Reviews on Pinterest, and find more apps and articles via my Listly page.